Once the bank sends out a new smart card there are number of steps that need to be taken before it can be used to send BACS submissions.
Along with the smart card the bank should provide instructions to install the latest compatible version of Gemalto for your windows operating system. Gemalto is the program that allows BACS submission software to communicate with the smart card. If you have any issues installing Gemalto, obtaining the latest compatible version of Gemalto software or need assistance checking if this is installed, your sponsoring bank will be able to assist you.
Once the Gemalto software has been installed and you have inserted the smartcard into the reader, the Gemalto software will prompt you to reset your PIN. This PIN is used for transmission authentications via your BACS submission software.
In order to use your card after this point the card must be activated with the bank and be setup with the correct permissions and linked to the correct SUN’s. If you are unsure if the card is activated and to check its configuration, you can run through the following on the Bacs Payment Services website as follows:
- Browse to https://paymentservices.bacs.co.uk in Internet Explorer
NOTE: If you are unable to access this website speak with your IT team to get access.
- An eSigner mainframe box (pin box) should appear asking you to click Sign.
NOTE: If the eSigner mainframe box (pin box) does not appear, your browser security may be stopping the eSigner plugin from running. Your IT team will be able to investigate this. One suggestion is to add https://paymentservices.bacs.co.uk to your trusted sites list, another would be to restart your PC.
- Enter in your smart card PIN
NOTE: If you have any errors with the digital certificate, this means your card is not active and you will need to speak to the sponsoring bank who issued the card to activate the card for use.
- If you are able to login successfully this means the card is active.
NOTE: You can also check the card has been setup with the correct permissions and linked to the correct service user numbers.
- To check the permissions, select My Details on the left hand side and scroll down Bacs 3 day licence Privileges. If you are authorising/signing the submission you should have Sign live and test submissions and if you are sending you should have Submit live and Test Submissions. (If either of these permissions are missing (but required) then you will need to speak to the sponsoring bank and get these added).
- To check the SUN is linked to the card click Service Users on the left hand side below my details, View Service Users. This will display all SUNS linked to this card.
NOTE: If any of these SUNS are missing then you will need to speak to the sponsoring bank and get these added)