How to complete Service Qualification Plan testing
If you are a Direct Submitter within PTX Payments, using either a smartcard or CSM (Cloud Security Module) to submit to Bacs, you will need to complete the Bacs Service Qualification Plan (SQP) before you are able to submit Live files.
Before you can send a test in PTX you will need to ensure that the PTX Software Supplier ID (SFP7222) has been linked to each SUN configured in PTX - you will need to contact the Bacs helpdesk at your bank to arrange this.
To successfully test with smart cards, you will need to ensure you have your smart card, smart card reader, downloaded the correct version of Gemalto software as per your bank's requirements and downloaded the Bottomline SC Signer Plugin.
if you are making credit and debit payments, you will need to complete a test for both.
You need to complete the SQP for each Bacs Service User Number (SUN) you have configured in PTX. If you are using multiple file formats across your payment profiles, it is important to test the upload of each of these.
- Log in as a user with the relevant permissions to Upload, Approve and Send your test payments.
- Click on 'New Payment'. Select the payment profile you wish to complete your test submission for. Upon selection, you need to check the transmission type in the details section is 'full test'. When you have uploaded your file, it will also show this transmission type in the top right corner.
- You will need to upload to PTX an example file. The instructions must all use real sort codes and account numbers. All of the instructions must be paying at least 0.01p each (PTX won’t accept a file without this anyway).
For a Credits file, it needs to contain at least 3 instructions.
For a Direct Debit file, it needs to contain at least 12 instructions. You must use all 4 direct debit transaction codes 3 times. The codes are 01, 17, 18 and 19.
Once the file has been uploaded, it is very important to check the following are the same as within your test file:
- The sort codes and account numbers
- The amounts for each instruction
- The transaction types are correct (for example 99 for credit, 17 for debit)
- The name of the payer/payee
- Payment references (these are mandatory for direct debits and must match the formatting from your file. Where possible, you may wish to reference these with your accounting software, or Bacs messages from your previous payment solution)
- Payment dates
- The total number of instructions from within your file
- The total value of the instructions
If there are any errors detected in your file upload, there may be a difference between the file format of the sample file and the test file, or it may be due to your PTX Protect settings.
If you find any errors or data not displaying correctly, please contact your project lead.
- Check your Authorisation Report and ensure your CONTRA details are displaying the correct originating account details.
- If all is correct, the batch can be approved. If the Approval stage is being completed by another user, they can filter the view in their All Payments screen to find the payment.
- Click Approve.
- The batch must be sent using a Smart Card or CSM. To do this click Send.
For Smart Card users – it will then ask you to sign submission data. Here you can view the raw data that will be sent to Bacs.
Click Continue to sign the file – you will be prompted for your Smart Card PIN or Password.
Click Continue to connect to PaymentServices.Bacs.co.uk (you will be prompted for your PIN or Password again) and post the submission data (between 7am and 10:30pm).
If the payment profile is not set to confirm manually, you will be prompted to confirm manually.
For CSM Users – Click Continue to sign the file – you will be prompted for your Login password.
Click Continue to connect to PaymentServices.Bacs.co.uk (you will be prompted for your Login password again) and post the submission data (between 7am and 10:30pm).
- You will then need to download the Generic Test Report to complete the test - this also needs to be done with a PSC smartcard. In PTX, navigate to the Payments menu.
- Select Bacs messages then click 'Collect'.
- Select the payment profile that is linked to the SUN you are testing.
- Change report type to Test.
- Tick Generic Test Report.
- Click Collect messages.
- Enter the smartcard PIN or Password when prompted.
- Once you have completed the above steps you can call your bank to check that the tests have been successful and request that they set your SUN and PTX SFP Live.
- You can then request your payment profile in PTX is set Live by contacting your Project Lead.