How to complete Indirect Submitter testing
If you are an Indirect Submitter within PTX Payments, in which you are using the Bottomline Bureau to submit Bacs on your behalf, you will need to complete Indirect Submitter Testing before you are able to commit live files.
You need to ensure that your SUN is set to Indirect, linked to the Bottomline Bureau Number B40000 and that it is enabled to download your Bacs reports. You will need to speak to your Sponsoring Bank to complete this, and ensure your SUN is set up correctly.
A test submission should be made for each of your Service User Numbers (SUNs). If you are using multiple file formats across your payment profiles, it is important to test the upload of each of these.
If you are making credit and debit payments, you will need to complete a test for both.
- Login to PTX as a user who has the relevant permissions to Upload, Approve and Commit your test payments.
- Click on 'New payment'. Select the payment profile you wish to complete your test submission for. Upon selection, you will need to check the transmission type in the details section is 'full test'. When you have uploaded your file, it will also show this transmission type in the top-right corner.
- You will need to upload to PT-X an example file. The instructions for each code must all use real sort codes and account numbers, and these instructions must be paying at least 0.01p each (PT-X won’t accept a file without this anyway).
For a Credits file, it needs to contain at least 3 instructions.
For a Direct Debit file, it needs to contain at least 12 instructions. You must use all 4 direct debit transaction codes 3 times. The codes are 01, 17, 18 and 19.
- Once the file has been uploaded, it is very important to check the following are the same as within your test file:
- The sort codes and account numbers
- The amounts for each instruction
- The transaction types are correct (for example 99 for credit, 17 for debit)
- The name of the payer/payee
- Payment references (these are mandatory for direct debits and must match the formatting from your file. Where possible, you may wish to reference these with your accounting software, or bacs messages from your previous payment solution)
- Payment dates
- The total number of instructions from within your file
- The total value of the instructions
If there are any errors detected in your file upload, there may be a difference between the file format of the sample file and the test file, or it may be due to your PTX Protect settings.
If you find any errors or data not displaying correctly, please contact your project lead.
- Check your Authorisation Report and ensure your CONTRA details are displaying the correct originating account details.
- If all is correct, the batch can be approved. If the approval stage is being completed by another user, they can filter the view in their All Payments screen to find the payment.
- Click Approve.
- The batch then needs to be Committed. If the committing stage is being completed by another user, they can filter the view in their All Payments screen to find the payment.
- Click Commit.
- The file’s status then shows as Committed until the hour (e.g. 1400, 1500, or 1600 etc.) at which point it becomes locked.
- Within 15 minutes the status will change from Committed to Sent. At this point, it means the file has been sent to Bacs successfully.
- To complete your testing, you will need to check your Bacstel-IP Submission Summary report. To view this, click ‘payments’ in the top toolbar and select ‘submission reports’ from the dropdown.
Then you can select to view and print the submission summary report.
- Once you have completed the above steps, and the file has been submitted successfully, you can then request your payment profile in PTX is set Live by contacting your Project Lead.