Being a BACS approved bureau allows you to directly submit files on behalf of third-party businesses.
PTX can be configured to process Bureau files using two methods as described below.
The method described in “Combining BACS files within PTX”, allows significantly more diversity in terms of ‘file format’. Files can originate from multiple finance systems using different file formats.
The method described in “Pre-combined formatted BACS Bureau files” is far less common, because a single complex BACS file structure must be adhered to.
- You will need to be assigned a BUN via your sponsoring bank.
- You and your bank must ensure all SUNS are linked to the BUN at BACS.
Combining Bacs Files within PTX
The individual BACS profiles that feed files into these bureau submissions are not configured with any additional ‘bureau’ related parameters. Each will have a template suited to its specific file format.
The fact that the SUNS are linked to the BUN will allow the user to select which files they wish to combine into a Bureau submission
Note – PTX allows files to be processed individually outside the bureau submission, if permitted by the sponsoring bank. However, files sent individually where SUNs should have been linked to BUNs may be rejected. Follow the process below to ensure that your individually imported files are combined into a single Bureau submission file.
This section covers the process for approving files; combining approved files into a single bureau file; and submission of that bureau file. In this example ‘single level approval’ is applied.
1. Log into PTX and Import your BACS payment files. Select New Payment > Choose Profile (not the Bureau profile) and upload the file.
2. Once the file is imported, you can review the file content before approving the file. Any originators bank information (not extracted from the file) will be applied from this profile’s default settings. You may approve the file now or come back to it later.
Although a user with the appropriate role will be offered the option to Send the file at this point, doing so will fail to link the SUN to the BUN; and the file will likely be rejected by Bacs. Do not click Send at this stage.
3. To build a bureau file for approval and subsequent submission, select New Payment> Choose the Bureau Profile > Continue.
PTX will now scan for any files where the SUN is configured as ‘linked to the BUN’. It offers these files as available for merging into a Bureau file. Use the tick boxes to select the files to be combined, and the select “Create Bureau”.
The Bureau file is now ready for approval in the same way as the regular payment files will have been.
Here you can approve the combined bureau file ready for submission. There is also an option to drill down into the individual batches and remove them from the combined file prior to approval.
5. Submit the Bureau file, by selecting Send, then Continue.
6. Enter your smart card PIN twice as requested (press continue when prompted).
7. Once successfully sent, you will receive a BACS acceptance advise listing the individual batches (SUNs) as combined in the single Bureau submission.
Pre-Combined Formatted Bacs Bureau Files
In this scenario, the bureau file is built outside PTX; and presented to PTX fully formatted including all necessary data in SUN defined sub-sections. Any deviation from this format will be rejected by PTX.
The actions required to approve and submit are the same as for non-bureau files. However, when you select this Bureau profile, it is assumed the file to be imported is a fully formed BACS file. No default data is applied from the payment profile.
1. Log into PTX and Import your BACS file. Select New Payment > Choose the bureau profile and upload the file.
2. The pre-constructed bureau file is now offered for review and approval. Select BATCHES to view the individual SUNs within this batch. There is no facility to alter this file in any way. Review and approve the file.
3. Submit the approved file by selecting ‘SEND’.
4. Enter smart card PIN twice as requested (press continue when prompted).
5. Once successfully sent, you will receive a BACS acceptance advise listing the individual batches (SUNs) as combined in the single Bureau submission.